Tuesday 26 June 2018

ANNIVERSARY

Grandson- O maa! Maa!! Give me a bit of dahi too. I want to eat. You are making dahi and not giving me.                       
                     Not fair.

Sudha-  No this isn’t for you! This for your dadu and dida’s anniversary. Its their 5oth anniversary. Its for them dear.

Grandson- Oh so dadu dida turned 50??

Sudha- No no! They have been married for 50 years now. That’s why we are celebrating this day.

Grandson- Yay! Dadu dida’s 50th anniversary. Yay!
(grandson goes around the whole room shouting this, where as mother runs after him to make him stop. After sometime, she catches him and puts her hand on his mouth to make him quiet. Just then, grandmother entered.)

Grandmother- Sudha! Sudha!

Sudha- Here I am mother.

Grandmother- I have been calling you for the past fifteen minutes. Where were you?

Grandson- (speaks inaudibly) Mhmmmmm……………….

Grandmother- So! What are we going to have tonight??
(grandmother leans towards in front of Sudha while Sudha leans back still holding her son)

Sudha- (with speed) Rice, dal, aloor dom, luchi, maach, doi.

Grandmother- HMM…….

(she leaves the room with a suspicion clear in her eyes.)

Sudha- Phew! That was close!

Grandson- Maa, maa??

Sudha- Go and play don’t tell this to anyone.

(Grandfather enters)

Grandfather- What happened my dear??

Sudha- My son was about to do a blunder. Thank god she didn’t hear about the arrangement.

Grandfather- No no! she musn’t know. No one will tell her right? (winks at the audience)

(scene 2)

Grandmother- Always I will be just working for this house. None of my family remembers about this day.                                                                                                                 
                          Are they growing old that they don’t remember or they am I so unimportant for them?

(Grandfather enters)

Grandfather- Ginni! O Ginni! My ginni…..(sings melodiously)

Grandmother- What!? What do you want?!

Grandfather- No I mean. You are looking beautiful today.

Grandmother- aha!! So romantic!! Do you remember what is today??
                           You don’t right?? Obviously you don’t.
Grandfather- Let me speak……uff! I know what is today. Today is Monday! We have Brazil and Germany’s match. Uff how can I forget?

Grandmother- Germany’s match?

Grandfather- Yes

Grandmother- Match??

Grandfather- Yes dear yes.

Grandmother- You are the worst.
                     Ahh(as if crying) You don’t love me at all.
                    (She leaves the room)

Grandfather- Are ginni!! Listen!!
                       Jaa!! She went away. But hehehehehe…….your buro will surprise you tonight.

(at night)
Sudha- shh shh shh!! No one must make a sound.

Grandson- eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!  (he giggles in excitement)

Grandfather- Shh! She is coming. Don’t talk.

Grandmother- O go! Why is it so dark??

Everyone in unison: Surprise!! Happy marriage anniversary!

Grandmother- Huh? Huh?? You all remembered??

Grandfather- Ofcourse!! Why won’t I my ginnimaa.
(Grandmother hides her face in embarrassment)

(grandfather kneels down with great difficulty.)
 Grandfather- Wait! Wait! I think the arthritis is getting me. Uff baba( with great difficulty kneels down)
                      Tumi akaash ekhon jodi hote
Ami bolakar moto pakha meltam……(sing first two lines of the song)
                     Happy anniversary Shona!

Grandmother- uff! You are so unpredictable.
                            Tumi moyeda ekhon Jodi hote.
                         Jol khabarer luchi beltam.

Grandfather- Oh yes I brought something for you.

Grandmother- What?? what?? (With excitement)

Grandfather- ofcourse. Here you go!

Grandfather gives her a box and she opens it with excitement.

Grandmother- False teeth?? Seriously?

Grandfather- yes. I remember you said that doctor has asked you to buy one. And since there are no teeth remaining so you know. I am good husband right?

(Grandmother gets hold of a stick)
Gradmother- You are gone!!

(they run in a circle hurriedly)

Grandfather- Wait! Wait! You don’t like this. I will bring a better set

Grandson-  HEHEHEHE! Happy anniversary dadu and dida.
                    (comes in front of the audience)
                     Uff now you all go let me eat. Tata bye bye.

                            ~ Suchismita Basu Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment